• Saturday

    FISTS》AM PREPARED FOR MAYWEATHER- PACQUIAO


    Manny Pacquiao pronounced himself
    ready to fight Floyd Mayweather, saying
    he’s willing to engage the unbeaten
    American in the middle of the ring if
    that’s what it takes to win,


    The eagerly-anticipated May 2
    welterweight unification showdown in
    Las Vegas promises to be the most
    lucrative fight in boxing history.
    “I am very excited,” Pacquiao said at the
    Wild Card gym in Hollywood during the
    week. “My training and my conditioning
    is good. I can feel it. I am ready.”
    Pacquiao says that is why he is training
    harder and with more drive and
    determination than for any other fight in
    his career.
    “I know this is one of the biggest fights
    ever in boxing,” he said.
    “I am not saying it is the biggest,
    because that would be insulting to the
    other fights that have been done already.
    “But it is one of the biggest.”
    Pacquiao defended his aggressive style
    after Mayweather, 38, on Tuesday called
    the 36-year-old Filipino superstar a
    “reckless” fighter whose careless actions
    leads to knockouts.
    Pacquiao said boxing fans appreciate a
    fighter who comes to box and put on a
    good show.
    “Reckless fighter, that is how people like
    me and love me,” Pacquiao said.
    “Fans like an exciting fight. Our sport is
    called boxing, people like a boxer.”
    Pacquiao spoke in Hollywood at the final
    news conference before he heads to Las
    Vegas for the fight at the MGM Grand
    Hotel and Casino.
    The boxer said he doesn’t need a
    blockbuster fight with Mayweather to
    define his legacy, that winning titles in
    eight divisions has far exceeded his
    expectations.
    “My entire career defines my legacy.
    Everything I have done in boxing,” he
    said.
    “I have had some great, great
    accomplishments and achievements in
    my career. I won titles in eight different
    weight divisions.”
    His hall-of-fame career has surpassed
    anything he could have imagined when
    he got into sport after someone told him
    he could earn 100 pesos (about $2) for a
    fight.
    The 12-year-old used the money from
    that first decision victory to buy rice for
    his poverty-stricken family in the
    Philippines.
    “I don’t want to boast and talk about the
    eight different weight divisions, but that
    accomplishment is amazing. Beyond my
    expectation,” he said.
    “When I started boxing, I never imagined
    it.”
    Pacquiao spoke to a small group of
    reporters in the basement of the Wild
    Card gym in Hollywood.
    He then went upstairs to the main gym
    for a workout in front of a standing-room
    only crowd of photographers and
    television cameras.
    Pacquiao began his workout with a
    shadow-boxing session without gloves.
    Wearing a grey t-shirt with the words
    Team Pacquiao on the back, he worked
    out on his own for several minutes, while
    trainer Freddie Roach watched from the
    corner as the throng of media pressed up
    against the outside of the ring.
    Pacquiao said the fight would have never
    seen the light of day if he hadn’t agreed
    to a 60/40 split of the purse, with
    Mayweather getting the bigger share.
    He sought, but failed to get Mayweather
    to agree on a $5 million penalty for
    anyone who fails a drug test in the
    buildup to the fight.
    Mayweather had previously accused
    Pacquiao of using performance-
    enhancing drugs, which became one of
    the stumbling blocks that helped scuttle
    previous negotiations.
    “I suggested it. I was surprised he turned
    it down,” Pacquiao said.
    “I was surprised because I was not the
    one making accusations. They were the
    ones blaming me because I didn’t want
    to drug test.”
    Pacquiao said he had already been tested
    about six times since the May 2 fight was
    announced.
    The two fighters also declined to put a
    rematch clause in the contract.
    “The negotiations for the first one were
    so hard,” Pacquiao said.
    “How can we talk about a second one?
    The first one was so hard to make
    happen.”